How Long Does It Take For a Hoverboard To Charge? This question arises as soon as you unbox your brand new hoverboard and feel very eager to make your first ride.
Now let’s directly dive into your query without beating around the bush.
How long does it take for a hoverboard to charge?
Considering every factor like Volt, Amps, Battery Capacity of most of the hoverboards in the market, we can come to a conclusion that on average, it takes about 2-4 hours for a hoverboard to get fully charged.
Most hoverboard manufacturers would have mentioned the charging time in the user manual or on their website, so checking them will give you the exact time taken for a complete charge. If you can’t find the precise charging time, it’s okay; you charge your hoverboard for 4 hours which will work.
How long should you charge a hoverboard for the first time?
Fully charging the hoverboard for the first time is important because it kick-starts the battery which is known as a “calibration process”. This in turn helps to increase the battery lifespan and also ensure the use of the full capacity of the hoverboard battery.
So charge your hoverboard until the battery is full, normally for a hoverboard, it takes around 2 to 4 hours to get fully charged.
Important Hoverboard Charging Instructions To Increase Battery Life
- Don’t Overcharge Your Battery – We usually have the urge to charge the hoverboard overnight so that we can enjoy the fun ride in the daytime but DON’T. Charging the hoverboard overnight will affect the battery’s charging capacity and reduce the battery’s life.
- Charge Your Hoverboard 80 to 90% – Ending a charge at 80-90% is better than charging it till 100% for the hoverboard battery. Nowadays, the hoverboards come with a mobile app with which you can track the charge percentage and stop when it reaches 80 or 90%. If the hoverboard doesn’t have an app, then observe the time taken for a complete charge with the help of the light indicator in the charger so that you can stop charging 10 to 15 minutes before its completion of the charging cycle.
- Cool It Down Before Charging – Before charging, allow your hoverboard battery to cool down for an hour after using it because the battery will be hot after your ride, and charging your hoverboard instantly after the ride will reduce the battery life.
- Don’t Use Fake Or Cheap Chargers – these fake or cheap chargers might differ from the hoverboard’s amps, volts, and power. These mismatches will damage your hoverboard.
- Charge In A Cool Environment – Heat is the biggest enemy of batteries; more the heat faster the battery dies, so make sure to charge it in a cool environment or a highly ventilated area.
Factors That Affect The Battery Power
The battery charge is the most important thing in a hoverboard; the more power it retains higher the time you can ride without any interruption.
Following are the factors that directly affect the battery power.
The hoverboard battery hates both extreme hot and cold conditions. The extreme hot temperature will be more likely to heat the battery faster, and the moisture in the cold condition will affect hoverboards since most hoverboards are not 100% waterproof.
Riding on an inclined surface will affect the hoverboard by not performing to the fullest potential.
The Rought terrain like grass and gravel will make it hard for the hoverboard to ride smoothly. If this continues, then it may lead to a long-term impact on the hoverboard.
Hoverboards like Gyroor and Tomoloo are also specially built to ride in rough terrains and on incline surfaces.
Weight Of The Rider
A top-quality hoverboard can take up to a weight limit of 260 lbs, but that doesn’t mean that heavyweight will never affect the hoverboard; it will somewhat create stress in the hoverboard motors.
Always choose the hoverboards that suit your weight. If you are overweight, then make sure the hoverboard you select has a higher motor capacity.
Battery Capacity And Quality
The built-in quality of the battery plays a crucial role in battery life. In hoverboard, you can’t check the battery individually, but what you can do is look for UL certification, which assures the overall quality of the hoverboard, including the battery.
The capacity of the battery determines how long you can ride the hoverboard with a single charge. The Swagtron Swagboard is one of the hoverboards that can ride up to 10 miles per charge that means it has excellent battery capacity.
How do you know your hoverboard is fully charged?
Nowadays, the hoverboard chargers come with a light indicator that is designed to indicate the charging status; with this indicator, you can know whether the hoverboard is fully charged or not.
The red light indicates that the hoverboard is getting charged; the green light denotes that it is fully charged and time to disconnect.
How long does a hoverboard battery last?
A well-built quality hoverboard can last up to 8 miles per charge. And there are also hoverboards like Swagtron and Halo Rover X, which can even ride up to 10 miles per charge.
Various factors determine the battery life; understanding them will help you to maintain the battery life.
Is it safe to charge a hoverboard overnight?
It is not advisable to charge your hoverboard overnight because usually, sleep time is about 6 to 8 hours, and the standard hoverboard charging time is around 2 to 4 hours. As you can see, the difference between the sleep time and the hoverboard charging time is very high. That means the charger keeps pumping in the current even after the battery is fully charged, which will eventually damage your hoverboard battery and also your charger.
If you want to charge your hoverboard overnight without any issue, the very known solution is to use a Timer Switch like TEKLECTRIC; this timer switch will charge your hoverboard only for the time you have set.
The Bottom Line
Charging is needed for a hoverboard to keep it on the go, but how you charge determines the life of the hoverboard’s battery. This article is written to help you charge hoverboard ideally, which will eventually increase the battery life. Make sure to follow the mentioned important Instructions while charging your hoverboard.
If the hoverboard charger malfunctions or if you are looking for a replacement hoverboard charger then check out How To Choose A Replacement Hoverboard Charger